We’ve been having some beautiful autumn weather here. The cool, sunshine days make me want to get outside for a picnic.
If you get the picnic itch in the fall too, you’re going to love this recipe and the giveaway too!
Smucker’s sent me a picnic basket full of goodies (and they’re going to send one to one of you too!), including jars of some of their jams. As soon as I saw the orange marmalade I knew I wanted to create a muffin with it.
Gingerbread pairs wonderfully with orange marmalade and the combination tastes like fall. And muffins are perfect picnic food. They travel well and don’t require plates or cutlery. Be sure to pack some cold apple cider to drink with these!
Here’s what you’ll need to make the muffins:
The cinnamon did not make it into that photo. I was out, so I sent my son to go get more, but I snapped the photo while he was gone.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. molasses
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking powder and spices.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in a separate bowl.
- Add molasses and eggs to mixer and beat well.
- Beat in milk and vanilla until well combined.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring with a spoon to combine.
- Spoon some batter into 12 greased muffin cups. You'll use half the batter for this step.
- Dollop a teaspoon of marmalade onto each muffin.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Smucker’s wants to send one of you this awesome “Spread a Little Sunshine” picnic prize. Here’s what’s included:
· One each: Smucker’s Natural Fruit Spreads in Strawberry, Red Raspberry, Orange Marmalade, and Concord Grape
· Picnic basket (plates and utensils included)
· Bocce Set
· Printed recipes: Chicken-Spinach Salad with Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing; Fizzy Grape Spritzer; Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Pita Chips; Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing; Strawberry-Mint Couscous
My boys were especially loving the Frisbee, which apparently is a very good one. I don’t know about Frisbees, but I do know the picnic basket and blanket are awesome. The basket is even thermal insulated to help keep things cold. And the blanket is lined to keep your hiney dry while you sit on damp grass.
Leave a comment telling me what you’re favorite picnic spot is. Winner will be chosen at random on 9/27.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Smucker’s. I’ve been sent a prize pack and compensated for my time, but all opinions are my own.