Want to add a little jolt to your BBQ Ribs recipe? Save the leftover morning coffee. That hit of java gives the barbecue sauce an extra depth of flavor. And cooking them in the slow cooker makes it simple.
I used country style ribs with bones. I’ve seen the boneless kind (which is kind of funny, since ribs really are bones) and we like that, but I do think the bones add flavor. So does the coffee. It makes the sauce deeper and richer.
Barbecue sauce in the slow cooker can get thin, so I thickened it a bit with cornstarch. We had no leftovers with this meal!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Red Eye BBQ Ribs Slow Cooker Recipe:
Serves: 6 servings
- 3 lbs. country style ribs
- ⅓ - ½ cup strong brewed coffee
- 1½ cups barbecue sauce
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- Place ribs in the slow cooker.
- Stir coffee and barbecue sauce together and pour over ribs.
- Cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Remove ribs from crock.
- Stir several tablespoons of bbq sauce from the crock into the cornstarch until smooth.
- Pour cornstarch mixture into the rest of the sauce and stir to combine and thicken.
- Serve sauce with ribs.