If you’ve got ground beef already cooked and frozen (one of my favorite quick-cooking tricks), this meal is a cinch to put together.
Hamburger, black beans and chili-ready diced tomatoes form the base layer. All of that gets topped with Monterey Jack Cheese. And covering it all is a generous helping of mashed potatoes.
I used plain instant potatoes, but one of the cheesy or garlic varieties would be tasty too.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can chili ready diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 serving amount instant mashed potatoes, prepared
- 1 Tbs. butter
- Brown onion and hamburger together. If you already have hamburger cooked and frozen, cook onion in small amount of oil till tender.
- Add black beans, tomatoes and chili powder. Heat over medium heat till hot.
- Pour into greased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Top with cheese.
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Dot potatoes with butter.
- Bake 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.