Are you looking for some healthier apps for game day? In planning our Super Bowl Menu (b/c for me, it’s all about the food and commercials!), I thought this Roasted Garlic Hummus would make a perfect addition. I’m not a fan of beans in general, but I have found that I love hummus and other recipes with chickpeas. I also discovered with this recipe how easy it is to make hummus at home! Now the flavor combos are endless.
It may look a little bland and boring, but the roasted garlic makes this anything but! Garlic takes on a whole new flavor dimension when roasted.
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 bulb roasted garlic
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Red pepper flakes/hot sauce/sriracha (to taste; optional)
- Squeeze the garlic cloves from the bulb of roasted garlic.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve with additional red pepper flakes or hot sauce or sriracha on top.
I keep the spice down on mine since my middle child loves hummus too, but you can make this as spicy as you like. Hummus makes a great dip for crackers and veggies, and is something I feel good about eating and serving.
For more great recipes with roasted garlic, check out the Ingredient Spotlight: Garlic, a recipe link up hosted here at Eat at Home, and Parmesan, Roasted Garlic and Basil Bread over on my blog.
So what’s on your Super Bowl menu? I need more ideas!
KimM is a contributing writer for Eat at Home and can be found at her personal blog Makin’ it Mo’Betta, on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.