This slow cooker recipe for Black Bean Butter Squash Chili receives high marks from my family. In fact, while eating it the other night, my oldest daughter remarked, “This chili is marvelous!” Which struck me as funny, because who says “marvelous”? However, as she asked for seconds, I knew her compliment was sincere.
Since this recipe only needs to cook for 3-4 hours on high, it is the perfect recipe to throw in the slow cooker right before I pick-up the kids from school. Then, it is ready when we get home from whatever practice (usually volleyball) we have that evening.
Isn’t it nice to be able to throw some pantry staples into the slow cooker, then walk in the door from an evening of hectic carpools and kid activities to be able to walk in the door and have dinner waiting?
Give this chili a go and let me know if it truly is “marvelous”.
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 15.5 oz cans black beans
- 1 10 oz package frozen butternut squash
- 1 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. (There is no need to thaw the frozen butternut squash beforehand.)
- Turn the slow cooker to high heat and allow to cook for 3 to 4 hours. Serve.
- Optional toppings: crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar, sour cream, chopped cilantro.
Andrea has been married to Peter for 20 years, and together they have two teenage daughters. Struggling with the reality that soon her girls will be on her own, she is leaving them vlogs at 101 Life Lessons. You can also find her at The Greenbacks Gal where she finds organic deals, green steals and cooks real food meals.