I have wanted to try this recipe for a long time, but somehow I just recently got around to it. It comes from the cookbook Country Gourmet (a fantastic book that is out of print now, I think).
One of the reasons it took me so long to try it is that the recipe calls for fresh corn cut off the cob. I’m super lazy. I think I’ve mentioned that before.
I finally realized I could cheat with this recipe and use frozen corn instead of fresh. I’m sure fresh would be better, but I also know I’ll be making this salad a lot more often since I can cheat with a bag from the freezer section.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 32 oz frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 1 jalepeno, seeds removed, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- Stir all the veggies together in a large bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour over veggies.
This salad holds up well for several days and it travels well too. Great for picnics!