Yes. This is just as fabulous as it looks.
This is the first time I’ve ever grilled fruit. Someone mentioned grilled pineapple on the Ebates Savvy Living Community and I could not get it out of my head. And I thought it would be best served over pound cake, topped with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
Caramel and pineapple is a combination I’ve tried before. And this version with cake and ice cream reminded me of a tropical twist on strawberry shortcake.
Grilling the pineapple adds depth of flavor to the fruit. It doesn’t hurt that the rings get basted in brown sugar and butter.
I don’t have an ingredient photo for this post. I used a whole pineapple, which I sliced into rounds and then cut out the core from each slice.
Baste the pineapple with 4 Tbs. butter melted and stirred together with 1/4 cup brown sugar. I placed the slices on a grill over low heat, basting with the sauce several times. It takes 5 or more minutes per side for them to be done.
After grilling, allow the slices to cool slightly. Then place a ring over a slice of pound cake, top with vanilla ice cream and drizzle with more of the basting sauce or with caramel ice cream topping.
Have you ever grilled fruit before?
- 1 whole pineapple, sliced into rings
- 4 Tbs. butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- pound cake
- vanilla ice cream
- caramel ice cream topping
- Stir the butter and brown sugar together until combined.
- Baste pineapple rings with the sauce.
- Place rings on the grill and grill over low heat for 5 or so minutes per side.
- Cool rings slightly and serve over pound cake with ice cream and caramel sauce.