Oh my goodness. This is beyond amazing.
Nutella slathered over malt waffles and piled high with bananas, blueberries and strawberries. Wow!
A while back I saw a post on the Disney Food Blog about new waffle sandwiches available at Sleepy Hollow in Magic Kingdom. I’ve vowed that we will try these on our next trip. But I couldn’t wait that long. I decided to make them at home.
I used malted milk powder in the waffles to make them more like Magic Kingdom waffles. I don’t own a Belgian waffle maker, but if you have one, you’ll want to use it for this recipe. I think thicker waffles might make them easier to fold into a sandwich. We ate them on a plate, with a fork.
I don’t have a photo of all the ingredients, but here’s a picture of malted milk powder in case you’ve never seen it before.
I doubled the original recipe, so it would make plenty of waffles.
Serves: about 12 waffles
- 3 cups flour
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 3 Tbs. malted milk powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3 cups milk
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 qt. strawberries, sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2-3 bananas, sliced
- Heat waffle iron.
- Stir flour, sugar, baking powder, malted milk and salt together in large bowl.
- With a whisk, combine butter and milk.
- Whisk in egg yolks to the milk mixture.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry, just until combined.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Ladle batter into waffle iron and cook till done.
- Top warm waffles with Nutella, strawberries, blueberries and bananas.