Gingerbread and orange pair up so well. Something about the deep, molasses and spice flavor with the bright citrus tastes like the holidays.
This recipe is a mash up of two other recipes: Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies with Orange Cream Cheese Filling from Recipe Girl and my Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce.
I wanted something cake-like that would feed quite a few people. The Orange Cream Cheese Frosting was perfect for topping it off.
- 3 cups flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1½ tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. allspice
- ⅔ cup butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup molasses
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk soured with ½ Tbs. vinegar)
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbs. orange juice
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, molasses and honey.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and milk until well combined.
- Pour into a greased 10"x15" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- In a mixer bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter together.
- Add vanilla and orange zest and mix well.
- Alternate powdered sugar with orange juice, beating until frosting is spreadable consistency.
- Smooth on top of cooled cake.
The cake can also be made with all molasses and no honey. I was running low on molasses. You can also use white sugar instead of brown. Use what you have!