My friend’s husband said these should be called Penguin Bars, but I think that implies that they’re frozen. He ate quite a few of them though. Enough to equal a whole penguin.
It’s hard to resist chocolate cake bars studded with chocolate chips and topped with buttercream.
The cake part of this is the same recipe as my Double Chocolate Bundt Cake. The kind of pan makes all the difference. I like both versions, but I think the bars are even more moist than the cake.
No ingredient photo this time, but here’s the recipe:
- Devil’s food cake mix
- 1 pkg. instant chocolate pudding (small box)
- 3 Tbs. cocoa
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 bag chocolate chips
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbs. milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Combine all the ingredients (except the chocolate chips) in a mixer bowl. Mix until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into a well-greased 10x15 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Beat butter in mixing bowl until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and milk, alternating. Add vanilla.
- Mix until smooth and spreadable.
- Spread onto cooled cake.
- Cut cake into bars to serve.
These are a perfect fix if you’re craving something deep and chocolatey, like a brownie.