Every once in a while, I make something that bumps to the top of my list of posts. This is one of those recipes.
The cake is the same recipe I use for Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, but baked in a 9×13 pan so it’s thicker. While it’s still hot from the oven, poke it full of holes and pour warm caramel sauce over the top.
The caramel soaks into the cake, infusing one perfect fall flavor with another. Amazing!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 16 oz can pumpkin
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 jar caramel ice cream topping
- 8 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a mixing bowl, beat the pumpkin, sugar and oil. Add eggs and mix well.
- Combine the dry ingredients and add to the pumpkin mixture, beating until well blended.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Poke holes in the hot cake. A chopstick works well for this step.
- Warm caramel sauce in the microwave for 30 seconds or until it flows freely. Pour over the top of the cake. Use a rubber spatula to spread caramel evenly.
- Cool cake completely.
- Top with frozen whipped topping. Store in the refrigerator.
I used extra caramel syrup on the plate and top of the Cool Whip for the photo. It makes a nice presentation, but you can skip it if you like.
On a scale of 1-10, how much do you love pumpkin desserts?