I know February doesn’t officially start until tomorrow (since February usually starts the first day of February). But it doesn’t hurt to get a head start on the freezer cooking.
So, I have a special edition of the weekly menu for you designed to fill your freezer while feeding you for the week.
There is more meat to buy on this menu, so the cost might be a bit higher than most of my menus. But remember, this menu is going to feed you for more than just this week. You also might want to buy some foil pans and be sure to have zip top freezer bags on hand.
Here’s what’s on the menu, with a few notes about each meal:
1. Black Bean and Rice Freezer Burritos – This makes about 20-25 burritos that are perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
2. Italian Sausage and Spinach Stuffed Shells – This makes enough for 2 9×13 pans. If your family is smaller, you could do 4 9″ pans instead.
3. Chicken Gyros – The original recipe calls for 2-2 1/2 lbs. of chicken. That made almost enough for my family of 6 to have enough for 2 meals. On the menu, I changed it to 3 lbs. of chicken to ensure enough for the freezer.
4. Tamale Sandwiches on Cornbread – This is a Mexican style version of barbecue. You could use the filling in enchiladas or just on regular sandwich buns. Buy the largest roast that will fit in your slow cooker.
5. Whole Chicken – You can do this in the oven or the slow cooker. Buy a big chicken or even two if you’re going to cook them in the oven. Take the chicken off the bone and shred or chop it to freeze for casseroles and soups. I freeze mine in 2-3 cup quantities.
6. Scrambled Eggs, Ham and Muenster Skillet – nothing to freeze here, but it’s a super simple meal, which you’ll need with all the other cooking.
7. Chocolatey Texas Sheet Cake – This makes a huge cake, definitely enough to freeze some for later.
To print, click here: [download id="77"]
This post is part of Menu Plan Monday at Orgjunkie.com