Do you ever just get a hankering for something? I did the other day. I wanted blueberry muffins but I really felt the blueberries needed to be paired with a hint of orange.
Sounds sunny, doesn’t it? The muffins are perfect for breakfast, but we ate them for a snack. (Don’t tell anyone, but I prefer muffins to cupcakes. This tidbit of info could destroy my serious sweet tooth reputation.)
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. orange peel or zest
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs. + 2 tsp. orange juice
- Stir the flour, baking powder, orange peel and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer.
- Add in the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Don’t over stir this, just blend them together.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into 12 muffin cups and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir the ingredients for the glaze together.
- Drizzle over muffins that have cooled a bit. They don’t have to be completely cool, but you don’t want them piping hot either.
- I drizzled most of the muffins, but then decided to dunk a few too.
So, which do you prefer? Cupcakes or muffins? Or are you an equal opportunity snacker?