I had a fear of raw shrimp.
All those specifications – deveined, tail-on, tail-off – a little too creepy!
But, I’m happy to say I’ve conquered my fear with this recipe. It was easy and delicious, which is everything I hope for in a dish.
I found this recipe in the Vanguards cookbook, put together in 2007 in Schweinfurt, Germany by the wives of The 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry. I modified the recipe just a bit.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ green pepper, sliced thin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth (or water with 3 tsp. bouillon)
- salt and pepper
- 1½ cups uncooked rice
- 1 lb. frozen raw shrimp, deveined, tail-off
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Saute the onions, garlic and green pepper in the oil until the onion is cooked through.
- Rinse the shrimp under cold water to thaw it out and then add it to the pan with the veggies.
- Cook 5 or 6 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the rice and cheese.
- Bring it to a boil, stirring it as it cooks.
- Add the rice and stir.
- Cover the pan and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese.