Homemade Chicken and Dumplings – It’s Easy. Really.

A bowl of homemade chicken and dumplings.  A glass of sweet tea.  It’s a meal any Kentuckian would be proud to fix and danged happy to sit down to.  And it’s not hard to make.  Come on, I’ll show you how.

You probably have all the ingredients for these dumplings in your kitchen right now.  And you don’t have to be a great cook to make them.

chicken and dumplings

First, here’s what you’ll need:

chicken-and-dumplings-ingr

about 3 cups cooked chicken

6-8 cups chicken broth

2 cups flour

2 Tbs. butter

1/2 tsp. baking powder

salt to taste (I just shake some in)

about a cup of milk, maybe a bit less

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.  Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender.  Stir in the milk, mixing with a fork  until the dough forms a ball.

Heavily flour a work surface.  You’ll need a rolling pin and something to cut the dumplings with.  I like to use a pizza cutter.  I also like to use a small spatula to lift the dumplings off the cutting surface.

chicken-and-dumplings-dough

Roll the dough out thin with a heavily floured rolling pin.  Dip your cutter in flour and cut the dumplings in squares about 2″x2″.  It’s okay for them not to be exact.  Just eye ball it.  Some will be bigger, some smaller, some shaped funny.

Chicken and Dumplings

Use the floured spatula to put them on a heavily floured plate.  Just keep flouring between the layers of dumplings.  If they will be cooked soon, this method works well.  If I’m going to cook them later in the day I layer them on a cookie sheet with wax paper between and lots of flour.  You can also freeze them like this and then transfer them to a ziplock bag.

To cook them, bring the broth to a boil.  Drop the dumplings in one at a time, stirring while you add them.  The extra flour on them will help thicken the broth.  Cook them for about 15-20 minutes or until they not doughy tasting.  Add the cooked chicken to the pot and you’re done!

Want to see some easier versions of this classic? Check out  4 Ways to Make Chicken and Dumplings.

Comments

1. I love how your dumplings are perfect little squares!

• Edward Lumm says:

The bst vay to make dumplings is use floured tortillas cut with a pizza cutter and drop one at a time , no mess to clean up.

• I tried this once and my family complained & said they weren’t as good as the ones I usually make. (I usually make them from scratch). I was really hoping it would work because it’s so much easier, but it was a no-go with my crew.

• Anonymous says:

The secret to using floured tortillas is to make them the day before you plan to serve them. Refrigerate overnight and heat slowly next day with extra broth. Yum!!!

• Anonymous says:

To; suemm88.. Will you please share your homemade dumplings? Would love to have the old fashion recipe. My granny and mom made them from scratch. They also made corn meal dumplings with backbone.. Wish I had their recipes. My email is susieqbackagain@yahoo.com thank you so kindly..

• Anonymous says:

Us can biscuits and roll th out

• Anonymous says:

These are quick and delicious!

2. Sounds yummy, I have a lot of chicken in the freezer so I will have to give it a try!

3. This is the only way to eat chicken and dumplins. It makes me so mad when people say they made chicken and dumplins and they use canned biscuits!! The picture of the dough rolled out and cut into squares reminds me of “helping” my grandma make dumplins. She always gave me a square to make into my own creation! My mom says self-rising flour makes the fluffiest dumplins and she also puts a little bit of the chicken broth in the dough mix.

• Amen to that! I also helped my Grandma makes these as a child–just made ‘em for a friend last weekend. Ah, took me back to my childhood!

• Anonymous says:

Just not the same with canned bisquits. too doughy

• Anonymous says:

You can use Flor torrilas cut into squsr

• Anonymous says:

I use flour tortillas! Cut them in longer strips. Use a large CANNED CHICKEN deboned.
          Put bones in empty can and fillwith hot water then add to pot with chicken. When it comes to a boil add cut flour tortillos and cook until tender. Tastes just like my Mama used to make!

• Anonymous says:

that’s not true… my mom made the best chicken and dumplings and she used canned biscuits. I have taken on her way and we love it. The dumplings come out perfect not doughy and not fluffy (don’t like fluffy). The trick is to use the cheap canned biscuits, you know the ones that come 4 cans together.

• I learned to make this on my own and the only thing i do different is add some cream of chicken soup to the mix. My old boss use to make this really thick gravy with it and they were just delicious…i hated chicken n dumplings until i ate hers…I tried the canned biscuits when i first started trying to make them and they just dont taste the same…

• Bill Mincey says:

I always use canned biscuits but I flatten them in my hands and break into pieces. They have always been great and tender. I need to try the cream of chicken soup though if it will thicken the broth.

• Amy, you know that your grandmothers’ version had to be good….you spell it as ‘dumplins’, not dumplings.

4. Yummy Comfort Food at its best. I cant wait for the weather to cool down in Texas so I can make it. You dumplings turned out so good.

5. mellisa rock says:

I was just thinking about making this and had no idea how to go about it!! Found your blog through blogher…and going to sign up for e-mails!! Thanks a lot!!

6. Pat Miles says:

Looks like you really have a good site. Can’t wait to try some of your receipes. Keep up the good work and make all those young people good cooks, like your mom and you.

7. We had these alot when I was younger. My family always called them chicken pot pie. I mentioned this to someone near and dear to us all and she said I lived too far north! I’ll admit I live north of the Ohio River. Whatever you call it, your tummy will be happy.

• In the South, chicken and dumplings and chicken pot pie are too very different things. Both delicious!

• Yes, and in PA this is also called chicken pot pie. When they make chicken and dumplings they use biscuit dough and form balls and drop them in. That is how my grandmother made them. The biscuit dumplings take longer to cook because you want them to be fluffy on the inside. Both dishes are similar and both are delicious. I also add a couple of potatoes to the broth and cook them with the chicken.

• Anonymous says:

Chicken & Popeyes is what they called them up north. Pot pie is with a crust and baked.

8. I use the same recipe but use flour tortillas instead. I just cut them into strips and dip them in flour. My family loves this it!

• Anonymous says:

I get Aunt Annes frozen dumpling at grocer. these are easy to use, and I also get boneless, skinless thighs. also add some chicken broth. mmmmmm

I tried Aunt Annes and Mary B’s
        I preferred the Mary B’s frozen dumplings. :-)
        I’ve made Chicken and Dumplings and Beef and Dumplings many times in the past, (Learning at mom’s elbow). I can say that I will never roll out another dumpling as long as I can get Mary B’s at the store! :-)

Makes slimmy dumplings

9. Very tasty dish, although I doctored it a bit. I cooked chicken breast in 2 cups of water and then used that as part of my stock. I also added some seasoning to the meat and added carrots. My family really liked it.

• Tiffany says:

Maureen, that sounds really good with the carrots. It would make my carrot loving son quite happy! Thanks for sharing how you changed it up.

10. They look so soft and creamy! Yum! I’ll give this recipe a try. I usually use Kluski noodles. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2729652046_7ff9885495.jpg?v=0 This is my favorite brand of kluski, they turn out thicker than egg noodles. I am really enjoying reading through your site! Great job!

11. This is almost the same recipe I use, but I use a good bit less chicken. My family LOVES this! It’s probably their overall favorite meal.

12. My mom was from IL and she used to make this for us growing up, except she cut the dough into long strips and for us it was (and is) called chicken and noodles. We like to eat it over a bowl of mashed potatoes. SO good! I love your site and tell everyone I know about it! I’m using your biscuit recipe again tonight, for biscuits and gravy. :)

13. I made these tonight – YUMMY!! You were the only one I found who had “real” dumplings, no biscuit or tortilla fakers for me! My husband grew up in Tennessee, so these had to be real and he loved them! I cooked my chicken with cream of chicken soup to add a little extra flavor.

• Anonymous says:

I put a little poultry seasoning in my dough. And at our house they are always served with fresh hot cornbread!

14. I made these today! They are absolutely delicious! Thanks for the wonderful recipe. By the way, the pot’s empty! Thanks again, Beth

15. This was soooo easy and very yummy! Thanks for such a great and simple recipe!

16. I love chicken and dumplings and grew up eating them. I’ve never been able to master the art of the dumpling but I’m giving your recipe a try tonite. However, I doubt I’ll be able to make my dumplings as pretty as yours.

17. I made this recipe last night! Oh so good! It was a hit with the whole family which includes a very picky 6 year old. It was a fight for the last bowl of leftovers today!

18. I just made the “Homemade Chicken and Dumplings” It really was easy! My grandmother used to make this when I was a child and have great memories of it. As an Adult I always wanted to make it but was intimitaded by it….however this reciepe made it so easy! My family loved it! Even my mother who is critical was impressed by it… :-)
    I highly recommend trying it!

19. great recipe!!!! reminds me of my mommas chicken and dumplings. very quick n easy

20. I love homemade chicken and dumplings. I have searched and searched for an easier, more “dependable” way to make them. If you’ve made chicken and dumplings more than once you know that they can vary in texture no matter what you do! My solution: Flour Tortillas. I know, it sounds crazy…but if you cut them up into dumplings, shake them in a bag with flour and drop one by one into boiling broth. Drop them in one by one and make sure they are all the way in the broth before adding more, otherwise they stick together. Trust me YOU WON”T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. And they are perfect every time. Truthfully, I never make them the old way anymore. My father in law would not eat anyone’s dumplings because he said he never found any as good as his mothers. I made them while they were visiting once. He started out with the juice, then the chicken, then the dumplings, and now, HE ONLY EATS MINE! I just can’t get a more rave review than that. Try it, you won’t be disappointed.

21. Sorry, I did not like the dumplings AT ALL. They were like noodles not dumplings. Maybe I did something wrong, I don’t know but they were not dumplings. The Flavor and everything else was good though.

• Ashely, I’m sorry you didn’t like them. Could you have rolled them out too thin? Or maybe you’re used to the thicker, drop dumpling type. There are several different ways to do dumplings and I think in different parts of the country they are different. I’m glad the flavor was good. Thanks for giving the recipe a try!

• I love how kind you are. It really made me smile tonight.

• I’m wondering if the reason she didn’t like the dumplings is because she is from the northern part of the US. I also call these noodles, but when I met my ex, (who was from GA) we had a debate over this. Our dumplings in the north (MO) are biscuit dough dropped by teaspoon or tablespoon-fuls into the boiling broth, so they come out fat and fluffy. I think it’s a regional thing, just not what she was expecting. Just a thought….

• Definitely is a regional thing. I am from the north and make dumplings with bisquick. Fat and light The best. Southern dumplings are like hockey pucks to me….sorry don’t mean to offend. Just stating fact.

• I think maybe the biggest difference that some folks are use to is that the older generation use to add egg to their dough which firmed up the dough some. I use to love them made like that but, I have gotten to where I like them more fluffy and melt in your mouth sorta dumplings because they seem to hold the flavor of the broth better. I think just as you do Ms. Linda, it’s all in what part of the country you are raised in, but as for the South, (Texas that is) there’s not too many types of dumplins (LOL) we will push back from…

22. I made this but first I cooked some carrots in the broth first. Then I added peas near the end. Very yummmmmy!!

23. I am happy to hear that I can freeze the dough! That means I can pull them out to thaw in the am and whip it together for lunch after church with guests. How many do you think this amount will serve? The recipe I was given doesn’t have measurements or use baking powder what do you think the difference is?

• Cindy Lou says:

It’s been 2 years since the above post, but you don’t have to thaw the frozen dumplings. Just toss them in your hot broth and give them a little extra time to cook.

24. I saw this recipe tonight circulating through Pinterest and I made it because I had all of the ingredients and it looked easier than other chicken and dumpling recipes. It was so good! My husband and I love it. We’re newlywed and always looking for way to save money and for cooking inspiration and motivation. I’m so glad I was led to this site. I can’t wait to try other recipes! Thank you!

25. Tried this last night after seeing it on Tasty Kitchen and it was amazing! So glad to learn of your blog and can’t wait to look around your menus more! You have a new fan for sure!

26. Kate Broyles says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I found this recipe off Pinterest and made it for the first time last night and it was very yummy! I have tried recipes before that use biscuits for dumplings instead of hand making them, and they just don’t taste as good. I’ll be doing handmade chicken and dunplings for now on! I used canned chicken and added it in at the end and it tasted wonderful. Thanks again! :)

27. Bernadette says:

I understand that the dumplings can be frozen, but can the whole meal be frozen?

• Bernadette, I’ve never tried freezing the whole meal. They tend to thicken in the fridge, but you can just add water when you heat them. I’m not sure how they will hold up in the freezer. If you try it, let me know how it works.

28. This was exactly the recipe I was looking for! My grandmother has been very proud of her chicken and dumplings for years and she’s not been feeling well so I decided to make some to surprise her. Not only did she love them, but thought they tasted just like hers and was very proud. Thank you so much! I never could follow her recipe, but this was definitely a life saver.

29. How do you think they would taste with buttermilk instead of regular milk? I wanted a bit richer taste.

• Cassie, I think buttermilk would be good. If you use chicken broth from a real chicken (as opposed to canned) to cook the dumplings in it will be very rich.

• Thanks! I made them with real chicken broth the first time and it does make them very tasty. I used your whole chicken crock pot recipe and then added a small amount of canned broth so I’d have enough liquid. I just thought the buttermilk might be a bit better.

30. So…I am attempting this recipe tonight (really hoping I did it correctly!) I have a few silly questions though…..what heat level do you cook the dumplings at…it says to boil but then after that….what level? I just turned the heat down some because I didn’t want them to stick to the pan. Also, do you stir the dumplings the entire time or occasionally or not at all once they are all in?
    Thank you so much for any help and I can’t wait to try this tonight!!!

• Patricia, you’ll want them to boil gently as they cook, so you won’t need high heat once they get going, but keep them boiling gently. And stir them occasionally to keep them from sticking. Happy cooking!

31. I had never made chicken and dumplings before I made these. Now, I’ve already cooked them for multiple people and they all love it! This is an amazing and extremely easy recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

32. Could someone tell me how many this recipe serves? Thanks!

33. I am going to try this tonight. Just a quick question, how do you cook your chicken? Thank you so much!

34. I am trying this tonight. We just got snow a few days ago and it is so grey and ucky today. I think this will be the perfect meal for filling the family’s belly and showing them all how much I love them. Thanks for sharing!
    Kim

35. Anne dolin says:

Omg, yummo! The dumplings were more like noodles, but soo good! My son and daughter loved it! Def a make again!

36. Found this on pinterest and so excited to try it! My grandmother used to make this when we would visit and it was always such a treat. She was from Kentucky, too. I was lucky enough to inherit her rolling pin that she received from her mother as a wedding gift. How special to roll out some home cooking for my dad with her favorite kitchen tool. Can’t wait! Do you have a Kentucky green bean recipe to go along with it??

37. Elizabeth says:

This is this first time I have made chicken and dumplings and I found this recipe easy and very tasty. My family also enjoyed it. Thank you!

38. Planning on making these tonight (: Just a quick question, do you use all purpose flour or self rising flour for the dumplings?

39. Marge Zemina says:

This looks like what my grandmother used to make, can’t wait to try it!

40. Tried these tonight and I loved them! Made them with self-rising flour to make them a little fluffy and added some sage into the broth. Delicious and even my picky husband ate two helpings. Thanks so much for the recipe. This is a keeper.

41. Looks so good! I have a recipe that we love, but I can tell that your recipe takes much less time to finish. And it looks like tasty goodness! Can’t wait to try this one out =)

42. I just used your recipe and it turned out great. The only modifications I made were to use buttermilk instead of regular milk and add some pepper to the flour mixture. Oh, also, I needed a bit over a cup of milk as my flour was still way dry after a cup. I knew it didn’t need to be sticky but there was a ton of flour leftover in the bottom of the bowl that wasn’t incorporating!

While I was making the dumplings, I cooked b/s chicken breasts I’d cubed into 1″ pieces in 2 cartons of chicken stock, added some chicken bouillon powder, thyme, s&p to the stock mixture and halved 2 carrots and an onion and tossed it all in the liquid while it cooked. After the chicken was done, I strained out the veggies/herbs, put the chicken in a bowl, added some water to bring the liquid back up to 8 cups and then put in the dumplings a few at a time. I stirred every few minutes, reduced to a simmer after about 20 mins and let it cook on low for an additional 15 mins or so just to thicken up (Cracker Barrel style!!). Super quick and easy and will definitely be my go-to dumpling recipe.

43. ive made them over and over this is a fast and easey recipe and they turn out yummy

44. Thank you for sharing your recipe. My grandson (6 yrs old) and I just made them. Delicious!

45. Just made your version tonite…I did alter mine a bit by adding a bit of milk,1/2 and 1/2 with flour mixed in…The recipe was very good and my family enjoyed the dumplings. Only difference was I left out the celery,onions,peas and carrots I normally add and my son DID request those be added the next time but he gave this two thumb’s up even without them.

46. Mary Ann Estes says:

Love this recipe and tried it out this weekend. It was a hit thank you for sharing:)

47. Just made this, delish! The dumplings turned out perfect (even with my 2 year old ‘helping’). I sautéed my chicken in the pot first just for more flavor. So good!

48. I found this recipe a while back on Pinterest. My whole family loves them. I make them at least 3 to 4 times a month. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

49. How exactly do I cook the chicken? My Aunt Kelly used to make it when we lived in Florida but we recently moved to Illinois and the weather is getting chilly. I’d love to make this for dinner! Thank you!

• Candice, there are several options for the chicken. You can “cheat” and buy a rotisserie chicken and take the meat off the bone to add to the dumplings. Or you can bake your own whole chicken or cut up chicken in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours at 350. Or bake boneless chicken breasts in the oven for about an hour.

50. Can I use Crisco instead of butter?

51. Made this again! It’s now my go to recipe :) I add carrots though so we at least get some veggie

52. have you tried country drop dumplings make the dumpling mixture the same way but make thin it out to the thickness of pancake batter may just a tad bit thicker it cooks really fast and they are fluffy on the inside

53. Lori TenHaken says:

Would these still be good if you froze the leftovers for future meals?
    Thanks and blessings,
    Lori

54. Christina says:

My grandmother used to make these. I have fond memories of her at the counter with her rolling pin. I made your recipe tonight, and used that same rolling pin (I “inherited” it). These were delicious and JUST LIKE Grandma used to make. They took me way back to a simple time and brought back sweet memories of my grandmother. Not only that, but my big, picky family loved them so much. Thanks so much for posting this recipe and helping me to give that same memory to my children. These will go into our meal rotation.

55. How many does this feed?

56. O.M.G. sooooo amazingly gooood. Definetely my go to recipe. BUTTTT gonna put in my two cents on what i did…. I had a TON of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, sooo i that instead of chicken. I didnt ahve enough chicken broth, but had chicken bouillion cubes. So i boiled 4 cups of water with 2 chicken cubes, an also 2 1/2 cups chicken broth. Put the turkey in an got it boilin while i made the dumplins. Had alittle leftover buttermilk, so added some of that, was bout 1/2 cup, then added 1/2 a cup of chicken broth. Then put it in an turned to simmer. Was soo yummy!! Thanks!

57. I just made this today, very good. But I made a few changes. I didn’t have chicken stock so I made a vegetable stock with onions celery and carrots; thyme, and oregano; salt and pepper. Strained that then did the chicken and dumlpings normally but the last 15 mins of cooking I added celery and carrots to it. Very good. thank you for the dumplings recipe.

58. Patricia Engle says:

your recipe is simaliar to my mothers she uses lard instead of butter. I think I will give this one a try with some of your other recipes I have bookmarked.

59. I’m going to have to try this recipe for my Texan husband. First time I made my yankee style big fat fluffy dumplings he looked at me like I was crazy!

60. Great recipie. But here where I live in Pennsylvania, in the middle of PA dutch country, this is called Chicken Pot Pie. Chicken and dumplings would consist of the same base withthe chicken and chicken broth, adding carrots, and potatoes to the mix and the dumplings would be plops of dough that get all gooey and good on the outside but the inside stays dry and puffy with air hole in them. Only way I can describe there. But this recipe makes a great chicken pot pie and thats the way we make it here.

61. Will be trying this for sure i remember my mom making these gonna try this in a couple of days. she used to make them round but square is just fine with me….

62. Betty Lois Brown says:

I made these Dumplings today, good!

63. I make these all the time with the same recipe. My mom always made the drop dumplings (and as someone mentioned earlier it may be regional because I’m in IL and I hated drop dumplings. My husband’s father made the rolled ones and they are so much butter. The only difference is he pre-cooked the dumplings in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes to cook some of the starch out (I have no idea if it really does anything but my husband does it the same because of this) and then transferred them to the broth to finish cooking. Funny thing – he never thickened the broth and when I explained my mom always did and it was a little more like a gravy he tried it and loved it!

64. I’ve made these about a half dozen times!! They are great!! My little guy loves helping me cut out the squares! But they always seem rather big, esp. for his little mouth. I think maybe I’m not rolling them out thin enough? Because it always takes about 40 minutes or so do get mine done. He says I should just make them more bite sized for him. Which I’m going to try when I make them again tomorrow, since he’s had such a blast helping me. He’s my picky one, and I have no doubt the only reason he loves when we have this is because he loves helping make it.

• Not that he doesn’t love it and eat it all! But if I tried to get him to eat any other version he wouldn’t even try it.

65. Absolutely loved this recipe. So close to my Mom’s, yet so easy. Made it just as it’s stated and added the leftover flour from the counter at the end just to thicken it even more. This is the 3rd time I’ve made them and practice does make perfect. I was easily intimidated by the dough the first time, but the thought of using biscuits made me more determined than ever to have “Homemade.” So, so good!

66. Cathy t says:

I have always made drop dumplings like my mother for the last 30yrs….I tried these, they were very easy to make tho mine don’t look as nice for the first time but it was very simple.
    Can’t wait to try them for dinner :))

67. Yummy!!! This looks so good. Reminds me too of making chicken and “dumplins” with my grandmama. She used Crisco and buttermilk. The dumplins were so good (as were her biscuits!) we’d eat dough pieces raw before they were even cooked! Also, here in eastern NC we would call your style Chicken and Pastries. Oh but we’d still eat ‘em all up! lol. My grandmama did the drop style where they’re big fluffy balls….miss that. I love both styles! Mmm Mmm. May have to make this very soon. Thanks for sharing.

68. I was searching for a way to freeze the dumplings once I rolled them out and found your sight. My dumpling were made for a simple baking mix similar to bisquick. I always have some kind of chicken parts in the freezer and today I just simply used some wings I had thawed in the fridge. Thanks for the tip about freezing them!

69. Just made these but with turkey. Added chopped fresh thyme & rosemary added to dumplings. Great recipe.

70. Katrina Grammer says:

Hello! You have a very wonderful recipe and present it wonderfully easy to to follw! I made a double batch, everyone loves them but was wondering if I can freeze some because I just made way too many!! I don’t want them to go go waste! ]
    Katrina

• Katrina, they do freeze very well if you do it before cooking them. I’ve never tried freezing them after they’re cooked, but I imagine it would work fine too. Just be gentle when you heat them, not to stir too much so they don’t break up.

71. I MADE THE CHICKEN AND ROLL DUMPLINGS, THEY WERE WONDERFUL VERY EASY TO MAKE I ALREADY HAVE A BATCH IN THE FREEZER AND I WILL NEVER USE ANY OTHER RECIPE FOR DUMPLINGS, THIS IS JUST LIKE THE ONE I GREW UP WITH…

72. I just make this! My family loved the recipe. I seasoned the flour with garlic and pepper before mixing the dough. Thank you!

73. Anonymous says:

i make them just like u do but just regular flour and their a hit with my family and everyone but im gonna try it with the self rising flour to make them more fluffy.and i dont like vegetables in them veggies on the side .

74. Mark Hodges says:

As a ten year old, I would go squirl hunting. My Grandma born in 1885 would take them to back of her small house we built her and skin them..zip, zap done. She made squirl dumplings, but she didn’t use milk, but the broth from the stew and the same with chicken.

• What did the squirrel dumplings taste like? When was the last time you had them? Interesting story!

• Mark Hodges says:

It has been over 50 years. Squirrl is great, Rabbit is better, Chicken is third to me. I am going to make the wild game dumplings this year. Oh and oppossom is last. Grandma used to get em, feed them in a cage for a week and cook em, delicious. I grew up a lot like the Dynasty guy, Phil.

75. I think I’ll try these and use smaller cookie cutters on the dumplings to make some interesting shapes for my grandchildren. The recipe sounds delicious.

76. Have you ever tried adding well seasoned chicken broth (the homemade kind) to make the dumplings in place of the milk?
    A friend taught me this and I really like it.
    All of your recipes are wonderful. Thanks so much.

• Sally, I haven’t tried that, but I think I’ve heard of people doing it. It sounds great!

• C. Whalen says:

I use the chicken broth, also use eggs instead of butter. But that is how I was taught growing up. Just had a big batch a week ago. My kids and grandkiddos love them.

77. rebecca says:

This is real chicken and dumplings to me. If it has veggies in it, it is still good but more of a chicken soup. I remember it this way when I was growing up in the Florida panhandle. Couldn’t remember all the ingredients in the dumplings, so was searching for a recipe. Thanks, this is perfect. Also, I buy whole chickens and if I am in a rush I just cut g he whole chicken in half and freeze. So this dish is a good use for the half chickens I have in the freezer besides just roasting them.

78. THANK YOU! My fondest memories of my Nanny were of her chicken and dumplings. Southern comfort food that sticks to your ribs. No one made dumplings as good as my Nanny and now that she’s gone no one could duplicate her dumplings. My mother is hideous at dumplings and gave up trying long ago. Nanny’s recipe is similar to yours and I’ve been trying for years to find an authentic version of dumplings from around KY. (She lived in a tiny little town near Pikeville.) Through the years I’ve found recipes close but not quite. Your recipe is perfect. No shortening in the recipe, she did include some chicken broth in her dumplings, and they were rolled not drop dumplings. I found your blog because I was trying to find if I could freeze dumplings to use at a later time and was going to search once again for a new dumpling recipe to try. Up popped your recipe and its perfect. Thanks again. I can’t wait to make this recipe.

79. Where does the butter come into the recipe or did I miss it? Thanks

80. Pat Green says:

I made this type of dumplings for years … always a family favorite. I time the cooking of the dumplings as follows: when you first put the dumplings in, they sink to the bottom. As they cook, they rise to the top of the soup. Once they have risen to the top, the put the lid on the pot and continue to cook until they are completely done … i.e. no doughy taste. Also, in my opinion, chicken and dumplings are always best the next day!

81. Any advice on how thick to roll out the dumplings? This is the area that I have the most problem. Either I get the dumplings too thin and they disintegrate making thick delicious broth. Or I roll them out too thick and they never get done. Yuck raw dough in the middle. I have a whole chicken unthawed ready to cook today to make dumplings this weekend. I could really use some advice on thickness.

82. dena mccune says:

I have a question do you use self rising or all purpose flour?

• I’m not Tiffany but I have made many dumplings in my day. You can use either self rising or all purpose flour. If you use all purpose flour just add double the baking powder. Also I never use canned chicken or broth. Try boiling or cooking in a crockpot with chicken boullion cubes or granules. You can add as many as you like to get the flavor you want, but I start with 3 or 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts and 12 boullion cubes in a 10 quart pot.

83. How do you cook chicken?

84. Here in northwest Florida the dumpling recipe is super easy.
    3 or 4 cups self rising flour
    1 egg
    canned chicken broth to make a slightly wet dough
    roll out on floured surface just as thin as you can get it. I let it dry out just a bit while the whole roasting chicken cooks on top of stove. Remove chicken to cool a bit before deboning, put cut up dumplings (cut in squares) in hot broth a few at a time. After coming to boil, reduce heat and simmer till done. Add de boned chicken.

85. Well, here is my take… And all we southerners have one. My “granny” would save the chicken necks, tails, back bones,wing tips and extra skin from chickens we would cut up for fried chicken and always place in an old used bread bag into freezer until dumplin time. Then the ‘scraps’ and a whole chicken would be boiled, usually day before. Then chicken deboned and broth cooled so the layer of fat could be taken off and used in the floor with dumplings. Then the chicken fat, crisco and ‘sweet milk’ was used to make dumplins. Once the dumplins had been cooked, addition milk, usually canned pet milk, was added to broth along with a glob of butter, deboned chicken along with lots of pepper. Boiled until a nice gravy is made. Served with a large slice of onion and a slice of light bread to sopp up gravy….. People would come from all around for ‘Ma Dales’ chicken and dumplins. She had a large boarding house during the war that she always successfully fed. I feel special for being the only one she has passed this technique down to. Enjoy.

86. ZeeWillis says:

I will try these using a rotisserie chicken from Walmart. It will add a lot more flavor to the dish. Just a thought.

87. I grew up eating made from scratch dumplings my grandmother made. I tried the tortilla ones but did not really like them. However, one day I visited an aunt in Mississippi and she made chicken and dumplings for dinner and they were delicious. I couldn’t believe it when she told me she used tortillas. She said the trick is to dip each dumpling in water, shake off the excess, then dip it in flour and drop them in the broth. She said most people couldn’t tell the difference. I sure couldn’t!

88. Gene Smith says:

My mom made the best chick-n-pastry. Very simple. 2 cup a.p. flour, 1 cup water. Mom would add some salt and pepper to the flour. The key is to have a very wet dough when boiling (bread doughs are dry). In the mixing bowl, make a hole in the flour, add the water and mix. Remove from bowl and roll out to about to 1/8 to 3/16 thick on heavily floured flat surface. Use a knife to cut strips (or squares).
    Boil a chicken in salted water the day before. Remove the chicken, and when cool, debone and skin it. Clean the meat of any fat or vessels, and shred it into a bowl. Save. Let the stock cool. Skim the fat from the top, discarding the fat (Mom was healthy–lived past 100). Save stock.
    Add the stock to a large pot, and bring the total volume to 6-10 quarts with added water (I make a double recipe, so I usually have at least 10 qts stock). Salt to taste. Bring to a rolling boil on high, and slowly add the strips of pastry, 4-5 at a time. You want to keep the broth boiling. Keep slowly adding strips until all are added. Cook on high to maintain rolling boil. This keeps the pastry from sticking to the bottom. You may want to use a wooden spoon to check for sticking once in a while. When pastry is done, add shredded chicken. Turn burner off. Let sit for 10-15 minutes. Taste, adding pepper and salt to season.
    The more flour that is attached to the dumplings when added will thicken the broth more, but can cause sticking. Also, I often add whatever flour is loose from rolling after I’ve added all the pastry.
    I’ve added celery to the water when cooking the chicken, discarding when cooked, along with crushed red pepper. Celery goes well with chicken, and I like a little hot–just a tiny bit. Some people add boiled potatoes, adding them at the time the chicken is added. I like em. I even added cooked sweet potatoes, but they don’t hold up well.
    Its Southern Cooking, add all kinds of things to see how it works. Winter squash works, Sausage balls, not so much. A hint of cardamon is OK. Even tried a hint of cinnamon. eh.
    Always better the second day.

1. [...] Homemade Dumplings – These are great with turkey on Thanksgiving Day. [...]

2. [...] You can’t go wrong with plain salt and pepper.  If I want to end up with broth for making dumplings or noodles, I add several cups of [...]

3. [...] and easy drop dumplings.  This is the first time I’ve made drop dumplings.  I usually roll and cut them.   We enjoyed this version.  I’ll be making it [...]

4. [...] Homemade Chicken and Dumplings [...]

5. [...] Homemade Chicken and Dumplings – One of my most popular recipes according to Google searches and also on Tasty Kitchen. [...]

6. Homemade Chicken and Dumplings | Katelyn Snyder's Blog says:

[...] while on Pinterest, I came across a homemade chicken and dumplings recipe. I thought to myself “Hmmm, I’ve never made chicken and dumplings before.” So, I [...]

7. [...] found the original recipe here and I followed it to the letter with one little exception. When I baked the chicken, I sprinkled it [...]

8. [...] adapted my recipe from Tiffany’s at Eat At Home Cooks. She’s from Kentucky so it must be legit. I feel like this is probably the right time to [...]

9. [...] to make it stand apart from canned soups.  This quick version is great if you’re craving homemade chicken and dumplings, but don’t have time to fix [...]

10. [...] Homemade Chicken and Dumplings isn’t exactly a soup, but I think it fits in well.  If you were lucky, you’ll get to have dumplings with your Thanksgiving dinner.  Maybe you’ll be double-lucky and get to have them after the holiday too. [...]

11. [...] bowl above is the classic, homemade chicken and dumplings.  They are really very easy to make and so, so good.  I think these are the best of the bunch. [...]

12. [...] Do you have a favorite food? Something that you can taste just by thinking about it? A dish that not only makes your stomach happy, but also your heart? This is how I feel about chicken and dumplings. I’m not ashamed either. Just wanted to get that out of the way. People have very strong opinions about how they like their dumplings and I’m no exception. It took many years for me to build up the courage to actually make this most delightful meal because my mom’s were so good. I knew how they should taste and I was pretty sure the only person who could do that was located in Hindman, KY. However, about a year ago I found a fabulous recipe that you can view here: http://eatathomecooks.com/2009/07/homemade-chicken-and-dumplings-its-easy-really.html [...]

13. [...] found the original recipe here  and below is the recipe with my slight [...]