I’ve been having fun with my ice cream makers. I spotted a can of La Lechera in the Mexican food section of the grocery and it inspired me to create Dulce de Leche ice cream. It turned out to be a sweet, creamy inspiration.
Here’s what you’ll need for one small freezer. I have a counter-top Cuisinart freezer. If you’re using the larger freezers that use salt and ice, you’ll need to double the recipe and you might be able to add a bit more half & half as well.
- 1 can La Lechera, found in the Mexican section of the grocery
- 2 cups half & half
- about 1/3 cup shaved semi-sweet chocolate
- Put the La Lechera in a bowl. Microwave for a few seconds to soften it.
- Whisk in the half & half.
- Pour this mixture into the ice cream freezer and follow the directions for your freezer.
- A few minutes before the ice cream is done, add the chocolate flakes.
- Serve right away or place in freezer to harden.