Peanut Butter Balls

If you’re from Ohio I know it’s bothering you that I fully dunked the peanut butter balls in chocolate instead of making them look like buckeyes. I have a problem with all you Ohio people leaving little naked places on your candy. That’s just not right.

These are my must-have Christmas treat. I remember playing Barbies with my sister and we would break to go get a snack of peanut butter balls. Yum!

Gather up your ingredients:

2 sticks butter, softened
2 1/2 cups graham crackers
1 cup peanut butter
1 lb. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 bar parafin wax

Cream the butter and peanut butter together in a mixer bowl. Mix in the remaining ingredients until it’s all well blended. Roll into balls about the size of a walnut.

Melt a bag of semisweet chocolate chips with the 1/3 bar of wax in a double boiler. The wax thins the chocolate to help it coat better and also gives a glossy shine. Dip the balls into the melted chocolate and put on wax paper to set up. Store in the fridge.

If you have left over chocolate, throw in some pretzels.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

1. The Blonde Duck says:

You can’t go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate!

2. It always cracks me up that these have wax in them. But I eat them anyway! About the bread…some lady contacted me from their advertising firm and asked if I’d like to try it and I said “ok”. I guess there’s an unwritten agreement that I’ll blog about it, but I’m okay with that. I like free stuff :)

3. Yum. Just yum.

Bev

4. Oh yum! You know I have never had a peanut butter ball… Definitely going to have to try them out~ wax and all!

5. I am SO glad you posted this recipe! My highschool boyfriend’s mom used to make these and I always meant to get the recipe from her. I had forgotten all about them until I saw this post. Yummy!

6. Yummy, your making my cabin fever a little bit better. Now I think I may brace myself to get into the car four wheel it over to Wallyworld to get some yummy stuff to bake!

Thanks for checking out my blog and for being Saucy yourself also!

7. I’m drooling over those, thanks for the recipe I need some yummy christmas treats!

8. OMG! those look so good!!! thanks for my comment! i can’t believe i’m saucy!

9. blueviolet says:

omg, that’s insanely delicious looking.

10. I’m from Ohio and I hate peanut butter! :) But I’ll definitely have some chocolate covered pretzels!!!

11. I’m going to make some peanut butter balls this week! But I make mine with pretzels… after forming the balls, you place one on a mini pretzel twist… chill then dip the ball part in melted chocolate! YUM!

12. Mmmmm… those looks SO good!!!
    Thanks for stopping on by my blog :)

13. I’m not a big fan of lots of peanut butter, but those chocolate covered pretzels look yummy!

14. Creative Mish says:

all of these homemade chocolate items are making my delirious!

15. VintageChicChick says:

I love peanut butter balls! I usually make them for Christmas but haven’t had a chance this year. Maybe for New Year’s or Valentine’s Day.

16. Grand Pooba says:

Oh you did not just post about Peanut Butter Balls on your blog! My friend just gave me some and I’ve been wanting, no, needing that recipe!

17. Drama queens mum says:

Those peanut butter balls sounds so good.

18. Rebel-issa says:

where did you buy the wax? and is it actually safe to eat the wax? they look delicious anyway. you need to make flan one day! flan is amazing =)

-Rebel

19. The wax is parrafin wax. you get it in the grocery, I think near the jellos and things or during canning season, you can find it there. It’s safe to eat, it makes the calories just slide right through ;-)

• Lyndee B. says:

Good Info, I make a variation (the past Sunday actually) and my husband asked me to see if I could find a way to thin out the chocolate and I absolutely give this a try! Thanks!

20. the version of pb balls we make have rice krispies in them. it helps cut the peanut buttery taste…they are my favorite! but i tend to loose patience dipping them, so i let my mom make them!

21. Now I’m REALLY getting in the Christmas spirit! Peanut Butter Balls, Dipped Pretzels and those yummy chocolate covered Mint Patties of yours are going to be the stars of my Christmas treats!

22. Yum! Question—Do these need to be stored in the fridge? (because of the butter?)
    Thanks!!

• Pam, I always store them in the fridge. I think they taste best that way. But they will be fine sitting out for hours if you are serving them at a party.

23. From an Ohio born and raised girl, now living in Iowa….I forgive you for covering it all up. :))

No seriously, I’ve seen a lot of recipes for these (or Buckeyes..lol) and have yet to see one with graham crackers. Gonna have to try that…they are a particular weakness of mine..lol

24. I grew up in Ohio (living in California now!) and my dad requests these every year. My husband absolutely HATES them – yet loves Reese’s cups – I don’t get it. Anyway, I have never seen this recipe with the graham crackers and will definitely have to try it out as well as the comment about adding rice crisps in there as well to thin out the peanut butter taste – that might be what my husband is missing! I usually use 2 c. peanut butter, 1 stick butter, 1 box powdered sugar – roll into balls and dip into chocolate, which is a bag of semi-sweet chips + 1 T of shortening…. and yes, I leave the top un-dipped to resemble the buckeye ;)

• Laura, I’ve had the more creamy kind and the kind with rice krispies. Both are good, but my favorite is the kind withe graham cracker crumbs. They aren’t as sweet.

25. Susan Coleman says:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls are the BEST! You’re right; it’s not Christmas without them. We’ve always made them with Rice Crispies instead of Graham Cracker crumbs. I’m guessing it makes for a crunchier treat. And the parafin wax, though it works, just seemed strange to me–and I never seemed to have it on hand. Discovered chocolate melting chips in the bulk bins at Winco. They work great! Just melt and you’re ready to dip your cookies. Leftover chocolate is also great for dipping dried apricots or shortbread cookies.

1. […] just can’t do everything this year, focus on the vital few.  For my family, that includes Peanut Butter Balls, Fudge, and Frozen Fruit Cups (I left these out last year and I heard about […]