This is one of those recipes that is so humble it’s a bit embarrassing to post it. But since I found the recipe in an old Frugal Gourmet cookbook, I’ll go ahead. Plus, it is the warmest, creamiest comfort food. Perfect for a cold winter day.
Serves: 2-4 servings
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 3 Tbs. chopped onion
- 3 Tbs. flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 jar of beef (you know the kind from the canned meat section that you use for cheese balls)
- ¼ tsp paprika
- pepper and salt to taste
- Rinse the meat under running water to remove a bit of the salt and then chop it up.
- In a sauce pan melt the butter and saute the onion until it’s clear.
- Stir in the flour with a whisk and then add the hot milk, stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Serve over Cornbread, Biscuits or toast.